Adult Family Home owners/operators can train their own staff if they qualify and get approval from DSHS.
First, an AFH owner must ensure the identified trainer will meet the appropriate criteria for the training you desire to teach your staff.
- All instructors teaching Orientation, Safety Training, and/or CE meet these minimum qualifications: An instructor for orientation, safety training or CE must be a RN or other person with specific knowledge, training, and work experience in the provision of direct, hands-on personal care or other relevant services to the elderly or persons with disabilities requiring long-term care.
- Reviewed the minimum instructor qualifications and verified all instructors teaching any other LTC worker courses meet the specific minimum qualifications as specified in WAC (388-112) for the courses they will teach.
- WAC 388-112-0160 Who is required to complete manager specialty training, or eighteen hour developmental disability caregiver training, and when?
- WAC 388-112-0380 What are the minimum qualifications for an instructor for basic, population specific, on-the-job training, residential care administrator, and nurse delegation core and specialized diabetes training?
- WAC 388-112-0383 What are the minimum qualifications for an instructor for orientation, safety, and continuing education?
- WAC 388-112-0385 What are the minimum qualifications for instructors for manager and long-term care worker mental health specialty training?
- WAC 388-112-0390 What are the minimum qualifications for instructors for manager and long-term care worker dementia specialty?
- WAC 388-112-0395 What are the minimum qualifications for instructors for manager and long-term care worker developmental disabilities specialty?
- WAC 388-112-0400 What must be included in a class on adult education?
- Documented verifying information for each instructor and have it on file.
Next, complete the DSHS Training Program Application Form available here TPA form. Once DSHS has reviewed and approved your training program you can use free DSHS training materials. AFHC also has approved training materials that can be utilized by AFH owners with an approved training application. Those can be requested via email or by calling the AFHC Office at 360-754-3329.